Electric bikes haven’t been around a super long time, but they are still making waves due to the convenience and enjoyment they provide. They are an excellent choice for those who don’t like or can’t use the leg powered bikes but who do not want to use a car or motorcycle.
Each of the top ranked electric bike choices that we have featured has great power, good speed capabilities, solid construction and fabulous style as well. If you are looking to get an electric bike and enjoy the convenience and eco-friendly performance they provide, any one of these choices will do.
Read our buyer’s guide below to learn more about choosing the right electric bike. With so many choices and so many factors involved, sorting through all of the available models on the market may seem like quite a challenge. We have provided the information that will make this task much easier.
What is Electric Bike?
There are many reasons that getting an electric bike may appeal to someone. There are many benefits to have one and three of the most important factors are very appealing to most people. We have listed the top reasons as well as other pieces of information that will make choosing an electric bike much simpler.
Electric Bikes Save Money and Time
Many people are turning to electric bikes as a viable means of transportation to and from work, school, the grocery store, on leisure rides and social events as well. Using electric bikes to do these day to day things can save the rider time and money in many ways. We’ve outlined these ways below.
- Riders can use bike lanes and paths rather than having to deal with traffic or wait for a bus.
- Locking your electric bike right in front of where you want to go is a lot faster and cheaper than having to worry about finding a parking space, especially in places where parking is a premium and difficult to find without having to walk a long way.
- Recharging an electric bike’s battery is much cheaper than having to fill a car with gas or pay for the bus.
- The costs to maintain and repair the electric bike will be a lot cheaper than it costs to maintain and repair a vehicle.
- You can travel farther for less money on an electric bike than you can with any other means of transportation. Studies have been done about the efficiency of electric cars. They are definitely an economical choice.
Electric Bikes Contribute to a Healthier Lifestyle
Even though an electric bike uses less leg power it promotes a more active lifestyle and does involve exercise. Having an electric bike contributes to having a more fit and active lifestyle and that means being healthier. Adding an electric bike to your regular day to day travel adds regular light activity to your day without you having to arrive to your destination feeling tired, being sweaty, or feeling worn out. It is a great choice for daily commuting to work.
Many people use electric bikes as a form of exercise. It offers a high level of control for anyone who may not have been active before and wants to ease into it a little more slowly. Electric bikes are a great investment for anyone who is:
Getting over an injury or illness
New to working out
Who is elderly but still wants to ride
Looking for a lower impact exercise
Getting started on a new exercise plan
Getting back into exercise after not doing it for some time.
Types of Electric Bikes
There are two main types of electric bike:
- Pedelec – This type of electric bike monitors the pedaling the rider does and automatically adds motor assistance. The amount of assistance depends on the pedaling rate, pedaling force and the speed the bike is traveling.
- Twist n Go – Twist n Go electric bikes use a trigger that the rider controls that when switched on will trigger assistance from the motor. They will either be on/off switches or a variable grip design. Current twist n go electric bikes will only get assistance from the bike’s motor if the rider is pedalling when he hits the switch.
Electric Bike Batteries
Electric bikes run off of batteries so it stands to reason you will need to ensure that the battery you use for your bike is a good quality one.
Battery Types – There are many different types of batteries on the market but the two main types are nickel and lithium. There are good and bad points to both but lithium tends to be the more popular type due to the high energy storage capacity per kilogram that is more than other types offer.
Battery Sizes – A battery’s size is very important when it comes to charging time. Battery size is not referring to the actual size of the battery but the capacity to store energy. A battery with a larger capacity will be larger and heavier than a battery with a smaller capacity. A Larger battery capacity will take longer to charge than a smaller one but it will provide a longer run time.
Battery Temperature – Batteries typically don’t do well in cold weather. The chemical reaction that provides the electrons used to give the battery power work slower the more the temperature drops. Charging the battery inside where it is warm and only using it when you need to ride in the cold can reduce the strain the battery experiences in cold weather. A few models offer battery stacking which means that if you only need the bike for a short trip you can use one battery but if you’re taking a longer ride you can stack the battery to double or triple the energy capacity.
There are many reasons why a person might choose an electric bike. We’ve outlined several reasons above, the most popular reasons being saving time, money and getting exercise. They are very fun to ride and involve a lot less effort while still providing exercise.
With so many different models on the market, choosing one could be a challenge if you don’t know what you’re looking for. With the information in this buyer’s guide you can look through the different models and understand what each one offers the rider.
The right knowledge can make choosing the perfect electric bike much easier. They are a great alternative to conventional bikes and other motorized forms of transportation that is eco-friendly, enjoyable to ride and much less hassle to deal with than a car.